The National Student Financial Aid Scheme (NSFAS) is available to those students who qualify for university study but do not have the financial resources to study. However, before getting any financial aid one must apply for aid and be accepted into the scheme.  The closing date for all applications for the 2015 year was 30 November 2014 .> “The closing date for application submissions and all completed required documents, for new applicants and learners, is 30 November 2014 for the 2015 academic year.” this is for NEW learners , indeed there were extension given for “PILOT” Universities but this is over now > 10155718_809625292417263_476523412081705056_n. This is what you need to apply >>


You may need the following required documents. Please keep these ready to upload. At the end of the application form

you will be informed as to which documents are required.

Please attach certified copies of the following documents: (All the certified copies of income must not be older than 3 months)

Your documents can be certified at the South African Police Service or the South African Post Office.

* If you are under the age of 18 or if you are 18 and older and are still dependent on the household income of your parent or legal guardian, then this also applies to you.

Certified proof of bank account. This can be a bank statement or a letter from the bank where you have your account. YES
Certified copy of your Identity Document. YES
*Certified copy of Identity Document of each household member including parents or legal guardian. YES
If you are younger than 16 years of age and do not have a green bar-coded ID, you must submit a certified copy of your birth certificate. YES
If you have been exempted from paying school fees, please provide a letter from the school informing NSFAS that you have been exempted. YES
*Certified or official copy of recent payslip, letter of employment, not older than three months, of each of your parents, or the person who supports you, or your guardian or yourself if you are employed. This is for all types of employment. Proof of income of all members of the household.  This includes any income received from SASSA grants, Unemployment Insurance Fund (UIF), or any retirement, life, disability or other benefits paid as a lump sum or in monthly payments. YES
Proof of residence – such as water and electricity accounts or other accounts. NO
*If your parents or the person who supports you or your legal guardian are retired, please provide a copy of an official pension slip or bank statement showing pension payment. YES
*If your parents or the person who supports you or your legal guardian works as an informal trader, please provide an affidavit signed by them to confirm this employment. YES
If either of your parents is deceased, please provide a certified copy of the death certificate. NO
If your parents are divorced or separated, please provide a statement detailing the maintenance order. YES
If your parents are divorced, please provide a certified copy of the divorce decree. NO
If either of your parents does not live at home, please provide an affidavit explaining the reasons. NO
If you are supported by someone who is not your parent or legal guardian, please provide an affidavit explaining the reasons. YES
*Certified copy of a SASSA letter if any of your family members are receiving a social grant and are also contributing to your household income.  This also applies to your legal guardian. YES
*If you have indicated that a dependant in your household is a student, please provide proof of registration or acceptance at the university or FET college for each dependant. YES
If you have a disability, please complete the supporting documentsAnnexure A and Annexure B and submit them with your application form. YES
Certified copy of your latest academic transcript or exam results. If you are currently in Grade 12 you are exclude from this requirement.

< click or copy and paste into google.

Students that have already applied and been accepted into the scheme are not required to apply again >> “If you are a RETURNING student funded by NSFAS in 2014, you MUST NOT APPLY again.
We have your details
and will get your results from the university or college. If you are a RETURNING student who did not receive NSFAS funding in 2014 or before, please apply online.” in other words you must pass each semester to continue receiving financial aid > ““FA2.6 Senior students must have passed at least 60% of the registered subjects or modules in the previous year.” if you fail below the required standard you will not get your financial aid extended to the following semester. 

Please note that each university has slightly different criteria for maintaining the pass, but in the end if you pass 100% (all) your modules you may qualify for a>>  “A 100% pass rate will result in a 40% bursary rebate on this NSFAS loan” there are rewards for passing and doing well through the NSFAS scheme 🙂

There is also an option for historical debt for those students who still owe universities money > “This loan has been made available for students who complied with all the requirements to complete their qualifications but could not receive their certificates because of outstanding fees. The loan is available to both NSFAS-funded and non-NSFAS funded students who could graduate between 2000 and 2010, but did not receive certificates due to outstanding fees. This funding is available to both undergraduate and postgraduate students. It is a 100% loan and interest starts accruing from the date upon which the loan is awarded. Closing date for application: 31 August” > https://my.unisa.ac.za/portal/site/!gateway/page/3bf961d7-e284-4df9-0008-00b902c0d418

Once you have completed your studies and earn enough money you will start to pay back the loan given to you buy NSFAS, less the rebates you have earned. Interest is charged by at a low rate.  http://www.nsfas.org.za/NSFAS/STUDENTS/LOANS  you convert your loan into a bursary and qualify for rebates/reductions in your fees. There is also the “FINAL YEAR PROGRAMME” > “Students in their final year of study, who will qualify to graduate at the end of the year, are eligible to be funded through the Final Year Programme. This is a special funding programme which was launched by the President in 2011. If you graduate in your final year, the loan is converted to a 100% bursary.  Students can only benefit from the Final Year Programme once” Once again you get rewarded for getting good marks.

please visit your relevant university web site for specific NSFAS application and other material. for unisa students go here > http://www.nsfas.org.za/NSFAS/STUDENTS/APPLY

for more info on NSFAS and applications go here > http://www.nsfas.org.za/NSFAS/MEDIA/FAQ

for nsfas help or assistance go here >> http://www.nsfas.org.za/NSFAS/CONTACT

if you cant click on the links just copy and paste into your browser/google

hope this helps




  1. katlego ramoba · · Reply

    i dont have bank account,what can i do?


    1. Go into unisa branch with your mom or dad debit or credit card. No cash will be accepted


  2. I received a message that my application is successfully funding from nsfas for 2016 has been approved.still I m not able to access study material online.what I have to now.


  3. Should I apply again if I made a mistake on the application form


cmon reply, it is more fun if you contribute :D

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: